Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mehfil

Mehfil, the concert put on by my on campus organization, SAPA, went off very successfully. Jan Popper theater was completely filled, although I do feel bad that they turned people away because they were at capacity. Some of our Ethno Department faculty also stopped by which was awesome. This show was a concert with some of our very own talented UCLA musicians and dancers who perform Indian Classical Arts. It was cool to see students perform their own creative works on stage.
The piece I performed was with my friends, Cameron Hovsepian and Jake Jamieson. Cameron is a very talented guitarist who plays many styles, in this piece he used his training in the Turkish Saz to adapt to Indian Classical Music. Jake is an accomplished percussionist who plays almost any percussion instrument and is also well versed on the tabla. For this piece he played the cajon and the tabla. We put together a rough outline for the piece giving us a lot of room to improvise and feed off of each others musical ideas. Cameron was able to adapt to the Indian style and I taught him a few melodic lines which were quite complicated for someone who has never studied Indian Music. I am grateful that this show gave me the chance to perform this piece which I put together along with my friends/musicians.

2 comments:

  1. I am really happy that the event went well. I wish I could have come but it sounds like I might not have gotten in. Did you get any video? Love to see a song or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Aditya! I like the sound of the indian music I've heard and especially the influence it had on the beatles. I also would like to hear some recordings/see video of the performance

    ReplyDelete